Friday, December 21, 2012

Holiday Card Complete



The holiday card is finally complete. There are definitely things I learned from this. For one thing, I learned a lot about how to draw birds. Even though these are penguins, I'm sure the anatomy of them are probably similar to other birds but with different proportions. Apparently, they have a very large sternum. It almost looks like metal armor attached to their ribcage.Their wings skeletal structure is a lot similar to how a human skeletal arm is. They have a humerus, radius, and ulna. They just have less metacarpals and phalanges. Their beaks are really narrow. It was annoying drawing their beaks because they are really narrow.

As I was painting this, I really struggled painting the penguins. I realized I wasn't sure how to paint them correctly because they are pretty much black. They took me the longest to paint but after not giving up, it ended up working out in the end. I also didn't paint the penguins with confidence at first. I freaked out in the beginning because I had no idea how to paint them. What I need to do next time is take a deep breath and visually how I want them to look like before painting them. I also feel that maybe I should have stylized them a bit more but I didn't really know how to.

I'd say I'm def getting to the place I want to be at with my work but I need to do more illustrations and keep challenging myself. That is the only way I'll get better.

I know this isn't the best thing ever but I feel like I've come a long way from where I started. 


No comments: